Monday, July 1, 2013

Blogpost #1: Introduction about Boredom

We all know the feeling. Time becomes slowed down. Nothing seems interesting. There is a feeling of yearning, but for what? This is what we call bored. We tell ourselves that we are bored! What does this mean?


For me boredom is the feeling when one person is left out without doing anything or when a person is doing something that he/she is not interested with it.

I read this article written by Allan Schwartz entitled "What is boredom?"

"One meaning we give to our boredom is that the book we are reading is not interesting. Another meaning might be that a class we are taking is a total bore. In other words, we look to something external to blame."

Boredom, when chronic, is very stressful and that has serious consequences for health. For example, we might be waiting room of a doctor's office. The time seems eternally long. Feelings of irritability and anxiety set in. This is where we start to feel very stressed. It seems as though the solution is to be seen by the doctor.

Another example might be that, boredom might cause someone from losing focus at work and getting injured because of the lack of attention. How many times have you been driving for a long period of time, become bored with the road and lose attention. My guess is that a good number of traffic accidents are caused this way.

Well, based on my experience with boredom, I can be bored very easily. For example, In a class if i'm not 
interested on what the teacher is talking about I tend to think about other stuff like games, future happenings, etc. But I can also fight my way out from boredom, I can do that by trying myself to be interested to that topic because I also need to learn about that topic. My advice for you guys out there who hates being bored, "DON'T TAKE BOREDOM SERIOUSLY" because it will make you more depress.


No comments:

Post a Comment